The 4th of July is just a few days away and we don't know about you...
...but we're excited to celebrate our freedom with some fun at the pool, quality time with family and friends, and some good food.
Speaking of food, holiday weekends tend to cause a little anxiety when it comes to staying on track with your nutrition ... and that's a feeling we're all too familiar with.
We want you to enjoy the holiday without having to worry ... so we've put together a few delicious and guilt-free recipes that will keep you on track during your 4th of July celebration!
Sweet and Smokey BBQ Chicken
- ⅓ cup organic ketchup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken breast halves (about 3 lb.)
- Cooking spray
1. To prepare sauce, combine first 6 ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened.
2. To prepare chicken, combine garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl. Loosen skin from breast halves by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat. Rub the spice mixture evenly under loosened skin; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
3. Preheat grill to medium-high heat, lighting only one side of the grill to enable both direct and indirect grilling.
4. Coat grill rack with cooking spray; place chicken, skin side down, on lit side of grill (direct heat). Cover and grill 8 minutes on each side. Remove skin from chicken; discard skin. Baste chicken with sauce mixture. Move chicken to the unlit side of the grill (indirect heat). Cover and grill an additional 5 minutes on each side or until done, basting every minute. Serve with remaining sauce.
Recipe serves 4
Protein - 50g
Carbs - 12g
Fat - 6g
- 4 cups 1 (10-ounce) bag shredded cabbage
- 1 cup Carrots
- 1/2 cup Green onions
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon Honey
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Celery salt
- 1 pinch Salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoon Apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cups Greek yogurt, non-fat plain
1. Combine the cabbage, carrot and green onions in a large bow, and toss to combine.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together Greek yogurt, lemon juice, vinegar, honey, mustard celery salt, and a pinch of salt and pepper until combine. Taste, and season with extra salt and pepper if needed.
3. Pour the Greek yogurt mixture into the cabbage mixture, and toss until evenly combined.
4. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
Recipe Serves 4
Protein - 6g
Carbs - 14g
Fat - 2g
Guilt-Free Creamy Potato Salad
- 1 1/4 cups chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup chopped multicolored mini bell peppers
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup olive oil mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon grainy or traditional Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 5/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Combine onion, bell peppers, and oil on a baking sheet. Bake at 425°F until tender and lightly charred, about 15 minutes.
2. Place potatoes in a large saucepan with water to cover by 2 inches; bring to a boil over high. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until potatoes are barely tender, about 5 minutes. Add eggs to pan. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes. Remove eggs and place in a bowl filled with ice water; let stand 5 minutes. Drain potatoes; cool 5 minutes.
3. Combine mayonnaise, yogurt, mustard, juice, parsley, dill, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Peel cooked eggs and chop. Add eggs, potatoes, and onion mixture to mayonnaise mixture; stir gently to combine. Serve immediately, or chill before serving.
Recipe Serves 8
Protein - 5g
Carbs - 17g
Fat - 19g
Red, White and BCAA Fruit Popsicles
- 1 ½ cups Strawberries
- 1 ½ cups Blueberries
- 2 prepared servings of fruit punch or blue raspberry BCAAs (you can use any flavor you'd like as well!)
1. Divide blueberries and strawberries into a 6 slot popsicle mold.
2. Pour prepared BCAA mixture over the berries.
3. Freeze until completely firm.
Recipe Serves 6
Protein - 1g
Carbs - 8g
Fats - 0g
As always, we're here to help. If you need more healthy recipe ideas or nutritional guidance of any kind ... make sure to stop into your nearest Supplement Superstores! We'll make sure you're set up for success.