We're very excited to celebrate our freedoms this coming 4th of July with our friends & family ... and of course, enjoy some great food as well.
And you don't have to worry about falling off track with your summer fitness goals ... because we put together these 5 healthy & delicious holiday weekend recipes just for you!
Ranch Seasoned Wings & Buffalo Sauce
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. baking powder
2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 freshly ground black pepper
1/2 hot paprika
1 (1-oz.) packet ranch seasoning mix, divided
3 lb. chicken wingettes
Vegetable oil, for frying (about 8 c.)
1/2 c. hot pepper sauce (such as Frank’s RedHot)
6 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 tbsp. distilled white vinegar
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. Cajun seasoning
1. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch, baking powder, salt, pepper, paprika, and half of ranch seasoning mix (about 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons); reserve remaining ranch seasoning until ready to use.
2. Pat chicken wings dry and transfer to a large bowl. Sprinkle half of cornstarch mixture over wings and toss to coat. Sprinkle remaining cornstarch mixture over and toss again to coat.
3. For extra-crispy wings, if desired, place a wire rack on a baking sheet and arrange wings skin side up in a single layer. Refrigerate uncovered at least 1 hour or up to overnight. Remove wings from refrigerator before heating oil.
4. Into a large, heavy pot or Dutch oven fitted with a deep-fry thermometer, pour oil to a depth of 3". Heat over medium-high heat until thermometer registers 375°. Working in batches, fry wings, maintaining oil temperature between 350° to 375°, until deeply browned and oil is no longer bubbling aggressively, about 10 minutes. Using a spider, transfer to paper towels to drain.
5. Let wings rest 5 minutes, then transfer to a large bowl. Sprinkle with reserved ranch seasoning and toss to coat.
1. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, cook hot sauce, butter, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and Cajun seasoning, whisking occasionally, until butter is melted and sauce is slightly thickened and smooth, about 5 minutes.
2. Arrange wings on a platter. Serve with Buffalo sauce alongside.
Recipe Serves 4
Layered Nachos Grande
1 cup finely chopped ripe tomato, seeded
1/2 cup drained canned no-salt added diced tomatoes
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1 jalapeño or Serrano pepper, seeded and very finely chopped
1 tsp. fresh lime juice
Refried Black Beans:
2 tsp. canola oil
1 can (15 oz.) no-salt added black beans, rinsed and drained
1 tsp. ground cumin
24 Restaurant-style reduced-sodium tortilla chips
1/2 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
8 tsp. reduced-fat sour cream
8 cilantro leaves
1 large jalapeño pepper, sliced into thin rounds
4 (¼ -inch wide) avocado slices, halved crosswise
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheet with baking parchment and set aside.
2. To make salsa fresca, in mixing bowl, use fork to combine fresh tomato, canned tomato, onion, cilantro, chile pepper, and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. There will be 2 cups salsa. Set aside.
3. To make refried beans, coat cast iron or other heavy medium skillet with cooking spray. Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beans and cumin and ½ cup water. Using sturdy fork, mash beans until lumpy and a bit soft. Season to taste with salt. Set aside ½ cup, reserving remaining beans for another use.
4. To assemble nachos, arrange 8 tortilla chips on prepared baking sheet. Top each chip with 1 tbsp. refried black beans. Add ½ tbsp. cheese. Top with second tortilla chip. Sprinkle on ½ tbsp. cheese.
5. Bake chips until cheese melts, about 4 minutes.
6. Using wide spatula, transfer two stacked nachos to each of 4 plates. Spoon 1 tbsp. salsa fresca on top of melted cheese and top each nacho with a third tortilla chip. Top with another tbsp. salsa fresca, the sour cream, cilantro, jalapeño and avocado. Add a squirt of lime juice. Serve immediately.
Recipe Serves 4
Protein - 12g
Classic Burger w/ Special Sauce
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp. canola oil
2 tbsp. ketchup, divided
2 tbsp. low-fat mayonnaise
2 tsp. dill pickle relish
1 tsp. distilled white vinegar
1 pound lean (93/7 or leaner) ground beef
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce or steak sauce
½ tsp. freshly ground pepper
4 sesame-seed or other hamburger buns, toasted
4 slices tomato
4 leaves green-leaf lettuce
1. Preheat grill to medium-high (or see Stovetop Variation).
2. Combine onion, oil and 1 tablespoon ketchup in a medium saucepan. Cover and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the onion is softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft, 5 to 8 minutes more. Transfer to a medium bowl and let cool for a few minutes.
3. Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1 tablespoon ketchup, mayonnaise, relish and vinegar in a small bowl. Set aside.
4. Add beef, Worcestershire (or steak sauce) and pepper to the onion and gently combine without overmixing. Form into 4 patties, about 3/4 inch thick.
5. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the burgers, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165 degrees F, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
6. Assemble the burgers on toasted buns with the ketchup-mayonnaise sauce, tomato slices and lettuce.
2-Step Homestyle Baked Beans
1 package (16 ounces) dried pinto beans
1 quart water
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 to 2 tbsp. chili powder
2 to 3 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. dried marjoram
1. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
2. Drain beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to pan; add 1 qt. water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until beans are tender, about 1-1/2 hours. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer to allow flavors to blend, about 1-1/2 hours longer.
Recipe Serves 8
Calories: 226 (per 3/4 cup)
Red, White & Blue Cheesecake Cups
14 graham crackers, crushed
4 tbsp. melted butter
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
2 (8-oz.) blocks cream cheese, softened
2 large eggs
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Pinch of kosher salt
Fresh berries, for garnish
2 tbsp. orange marmalade or apricot jam
1. Preheat oven to 325º and line two 12-cup muffin tin with 16 paper liners. Spray liners with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine crushed graham crackers, melted butter, and salt and stir until combined. Press graham mixture into paper liners.
3. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add eggs, sour cream, sugar, vanilla, and salt and beat until combined. Pour filling over graham crusts.
4. Bake until center is slightly jiggly, 20 minutes. Let cool in muffin tin, then refrigerate at least 2 hours.
5. To serve: Top with desired fruit. Combine jam with 1 tablespoon water and microwave on medium power for 15 seconds. Brush jam mixture over fruit before serving.
Recipe Serves 16
Calories: 236 (per cup)
And if you need help with more recipe ideas, or anything health & fitness related ... we're always here. Just stop into your local Supplement Superstores location and we'll make sure you're set up for success!
Have a safe & happy 4th of July!