There's absolutely nothing better than the holiday season ... and I'm looking forward to spending some much needed quality time with family & friends.
And I'm definitely excited for some delicious holiday food ... especially the sweet treats.
But if you're anything like me, you tend to go a little overboard with the Christmas desserts ... which never sets you up for success when it comes to your New Years fitness goals.
So as a little Christmas gift to you ... I put together 5 of my favorite low-calorie & protein-packed holiday sweet treat recipes!
Not only are these recipes absolutely delicious ... but you can enjoy them all 100% guilt-free.
Peppermint Patty Milkshake
-1 large banana
-1 cup almond milk
-1 scoop peppermint bark protein powder
-2 tbsp cocoa powder
-1/4 tsp peppermint extract
-Whip cream (optional)
1. Using a blender, simply blend all ingredients together & enjoy!
Recipe serves 1
Calories - 315 cals
Protein - 27g
Carbs - 40g
Fats - 6g
Chocolate Chip Protein Cookies
-1/4 cup coconut flour
-2 scoops vanilla whey protein powder
-3/4 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp xanthan gum
-1/4 tsp salt
-1 tbsp coconut oil or unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
-1 large egg, room temperature
-1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
-1/4 cup agave
-3 tsp Stevia (or preferred sugar substitute, needs to be equivalent to 1/4 cup sugar)
-1 tbsp unsweetened cashew or vanilla almond milk
-2 tbsp dark chocolate chips
-1 tbsp miniature chocolate chips
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, protein powder, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the coconut oil or butter, egg, and vanilla. Stir in the agave and Stevia until completely incorporated. Mix in the milk. Add in the coconut flour mixture, stirring until fully incorporated. Let the cookie dough rest for at least 10 minutes.
2. While the cookie dough rests, preheat the oven to 325°F, and line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
3. Fold the dark chocolate chips and half of the miniature chocolate chips into the cookie dough. Drop the cookie dough into 12 rounded scoops onto the prepared baking sheet, and flatten to your desired thickness and width with a spatula.
4. Gently press the remaining miniature chips into the tops. Bake at 325°F for 9-11 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
Recipe makes 12 Cookies
Calories - 92
Protein - 5g
Carbs - 11g
Fats - 3g
Maple Vanilla Protein Fudge
-2 scoops vanilla protein powder
-2 tbsp coconut flour
-2 tbsp almond butter
-2 tbsp coconut oil separated
-1 tsp coconut palm sugar
-1 tsp cocoa powder
-1 tsp vanilla
-1/4 cup maple syrup
-Pinch of sea salt
-1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1. In a large bowl combine all ingredients except for the chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil
2. Mix well and press into a medium sized glass container and store in the fridge
3. Melt the chocolate and remaining coconut oil in the microwave for about 20 seconds
4. Stir well and pour over the base of the fudge
5. Return to the fridge for 15 minutes
6. Cut into squares & enjoy! (Keep leftovers stored in the fridge)
Recipe serves 6
Calories - 182
Protein - 5g
Carbs - 17g
Fats - 11g
Reindeer Mug Cake
-1 tbsp walden Farms Syrup
-2 large egg whites
-1 tbsp ground flaxseed
-1 1/2 scoops chocolate protein powder
-1/2 small (6" to 6-7/8" long) banana
1. Mix the ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Spray a large-diameter mug with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Pour the batter into the mug. Microwave on high for about two minutes.
4. Turn the mug over onto a plate. The cake will slide out.
5. Create your personalized reindeer: Decorate with a raspberry nose, chocolate chip eyes, and pretzel antlers!
Recipe Serves 1
Calories - 230
Protein - 34g
Carbs - 14g
Fats - 4g
Protein Hot Chocolate
-Hot chocolate mix
-Almond milk or milk of choice (as instructed on hot chocolate mix)
-1 scoop vanilla or chocolate protein powder
-Whip cream and mini marshmallows (optional)
1. Place protein powder in the bottom of cup or mug with a small amount of milk
2. Stir until a paste like substance forms
3. Add the hot chocolate mix and remaining milk, stirring as you pour.
Recipe Serves 1
Calories - 260
Protein - 27g
Carbs - 28g
Fats - 7g
If you need help getting through the holidays, make sure you stop into your local Supplement Superstores! We will make sure you have the perfect plan set up so you are ahead of the game come the New Year.
This article was written by Casey Borgmann. She is a N.A.S.M. Certified Personal Trainer and Sports Nutrition Specialist.