Summer is one of the hardest times of the year to stay on track.
It starts with Memorial Day, and only gets harder as the season goes on.
The truth is that getting on track during summer is easier than you think … if you take ACTIONABLE steps to improve your health.
This blog covers 5 simple steps you can implement RIGHT NOW to get yourself back into a healthy routine during the summer.
1. EXERCISE 3 TIMES A WEEK – Almost everyone knows that physical activity and exercise are important … but that does not necessarily mean we all do it.
A lot of people also think that you have to work out every day to see results, which just isn’t true.
It’s proven that regular exercise (at least 3 times per week for 30-45mins) helps prevent heart disease, stroke, promotes a healthier cardiovascular system, improves mood and energy, along with numerous other benefits as well!
Shoot for at least 3 bouts of exercise a week to start out, and you will definitely notice a BIG difference.
2. DRINK WATER – Water intake is HUGE. There are a ton of benefits from having proper water intake and hydration. These benefits include cleansing toxins from the body, energizing and hydrating your muscles and skin, balancing total body fluids, improving energy and mood, and helping to improve fat loss … just to name a few.
You should aim to drink a minimum of 100-120oz per day … so around a gallon total.
Increasing your water intake is one of the easiest things you can do to improve your health.
3. EAT NUTRIENT RICH FOODS – Lean proteins, complex carbohydrates and fruits/veggies provide the body with amino acids, energy, vitamins and antioxidants that allow your body to function at its peak.
Your diet and the nutrients it contains are EXTREMELY important for healthy body weight and muscle mass, energy, sleep, skin and eye health, digestion, and literally ANYTHING health related you can name.
Without a healthy, nutrient rich diet … you will always be a step behind, especially when we are talking about establishing a healthy routine.
You can almost always find a leaner meat and fruit at a summer BBQ, so stick to those before you over indulge in the junk food.
4. MANAGE STRESS – This one is HUGE right now. There's a lot to stress about now a days ... most of this we have no control over, but we can take ACTIONABLE steps to combat stress.
Work on taking time to relax whenever possible. Read, exercise, watch a funny movie or spend time with a best friend, listen to music, or even look into natural stress-reducing supplementation.
These activities and tips can all help release endorphins and lead to feelings of happiness and positive well-being.
5. JOIN A CHALLENGE — Let’s face it … it’s hard to get into habits on your own sometimes. So having a group of like-minded individuals to help support your new decision is important to make long term changes.
The S2 Operation Transformation Challenge helps bring together a group of people with a common goal, while offering nutrition guidance and workout plans. Operation Transformation has a private Facebook group just for those who sign up and other prizes that are sure to give you some motivation to help you reach your goals!
If you need help with any of these key points or help establishing any type of healthy lifestyle aspects, just reach out to one of our Sports Nutrition Specialists. It will be our pleasure helping you put together the perfect plan for your personal lifestyle.
*This post was written by Andrew Lynn, who has a Bachelor's in Science Nutrition and Dietetics. He is also a NASM Certified Personal Trainer and NASM Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist.