The new year is right around the corner ... and there's no doubt you're already planning on attacking some new fitness goals.
I know firsthand that one of the hardest parts of creating a healthy lifestyle is finding food that not only tastes good ... but is also good for you.
So I put together these healthy, low-calorie & absolutely delicious appetizers to help you get through your New Year's Eve celebration ... and get a head start on your 2023 fitness goals!
You won't believe these mouth-watering recipes are low in calories ... and they're perfect for entertaining friends & family while staying on track.
Low-Calorie Garlic Parmesan Chicken Tenders
-2 lbs. chicken breast tenderloins
-1 cup almond flour
-1/2 cup parmesan cheese
-1 teaspoon dried parsley
-1 teaspoon garlic powder
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Lightly spray or rub olive oil or avocado cooking spray on the baking mat. Set aside.
2. Pat chicken tenderloins dry with a paper towel.
3. In a shallow dish, whisk together the eggs.
4. In another shallow dish, mix together the almond flour, parmesan cheese, garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper.
5. Dip each tenderloin into the egg mixture, then into the parmesan almond flour mixture. For a thicker breading, do a second dip in the eggs and then almond parmesan mixture again.
6. Place chicken tenders on the prepared baking sheet. To help tenders get evenly browned, lightly brush or spray the top of the chicken tenders with olive oil or avocado oil spray.
7. Bake for 10 minutes. Carefully flip chicken tenders and bake another 5-6 minutes.
8. If your tenders aren’t as browned and crisp as you’d like, turn your broiler on high and broil for 2-3 minutes. Be SUPER careful and watch closely so they don’t go from crispy to burned!
9. Remove from oven and let rest a couple minutes before transferring to a serving platter or plates. Then enjoy with your favorite low-calorie dipping sauce!
Recipe Serves 8
Calories - 258
Protein - 31g
Carbs - 3g
Fats - 13g
Buffalo Chicken Dip
-1 cup of plain Greek yogurt (whole, low fat, or nonfat)
-1/4 cup of hot sauce, more to taste
-1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
-2 cups of shredded chicken breast, cooked
-2 tablespoons of fresh chives, more to taste
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk the Greek yogurt, hot sauce, and garlic powder.
2. Add the shredded chicken and stir until coated. Serve cold topped with fresh chives.
3. Alternatively, you can transfer the dip to an oven-safe dish and heat at 300°F (150°C) until warmed through (10–15 minutes), or microwave on high for 2–3 minutes.
4. Enjoy with veggies, crackers, baked chips, etc.
Recipe serves 4
Calories - 122
Protein - 12g
Carbs - 8g
Fat - 5g
Healthy Potato Skins
-4 small sweet potatoes
-1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
-1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
-1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
-1 ripe avocado
-1 tablespoon lime juice
-1 clove garlic, minced
-1/8 teaspoon salt
-1/4 cup chopped tomato
-2 tablespoons minced red onion
-Chopped cilantro for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Tightly wrap sweet potatoes in foil and place on a baking sheet. Roast until very tender, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Carefully unwrap and set aside to cool.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh, leaving a 1/4-inch border (save the scooped-out flesh for another use). Place the sweet potato halves skin-side up on the prepared baking sheet. Brush with oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake until browned and crisp, 20 to 30 minutes.
5. Cut each skin in half widthwise and return to the baking sheet, skin-side down. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon Cheddar. Return to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, make the guacamole: Mash avocado in a medium bowl. Stir in lime juice, garlic and salt.
7. Top each sweet potato skin with guacamole, tomato, onion and cilantro, if desired.
Recipe Serves 8
Calories - 117
Protein - 3g
Carbs - 9g
Fats - 7g
Salted Caramel Protein Brownies
-2 ripe bananas mashed
-1/2 cup almond flour
-1/2 cup unsweetened coco powder
- 1/2 - 2 scoops caramel protein powder or vanilla protein powder
-Big squeeze of low-sugar/sugar free caramel syrup
-1/3 cup melted coconut oil
-Pinch of salt
-1/3 cup full fat Greek yogurt
-1/2 cup 85% dark chocolate (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line and grease a small baking tray.
2. Combine all the ingredients (apart from the chocolate) in a bowl until thoroughly mixed
3. Pour into the baking tray and bake for 12-15 minutes. When a fork comes out clean you know they’re ready!
4. Leave to cool slightly
5. If using, melt the dark chocolate in a bowl in the microwave – 30 seconds at a time until all melted.
6. Drizzle the chocolate over the brownies and leave to set
7. Cut into 9 brownies
Recipe Serves 3
Calories - 184
Protein - 13g
Carbs - 15g
Fats - 8g
If you need any help at all getting a head start on your New Year's fitness goals ... our Sports Nutrition Specialists are here to help! Just stop into your local Supplement Superstores location & we'll make sure you're set up to crush 2023!
This article was written by Casey Borgmann. She is a N.A.S.M. Certified Personal Trainer and Sports Nutrition Specialist.