The New Year is always an exciting time.
A time where you get a clean slate and a fresh start.
A time where you set new goals and make those New Years resolutions.
Let's be honest ... a new year is a perfect time to set goals and focus on improving.
We don't want to put a damper on your New Years Resolutions ... but we have a few statistics that may surprise you.
Did you know:
91% of all resolutions made during this time will have something to do with health and wellness.
Roughly 73% of that same group will fail their fitness resolution in only 6 weeks time ...
... And less than 8% of this group will actually follow through with the goals they set for themselves
Those are some pretty wild stats ... and they may leave you wondering what the 8% who follow through do versus those that fall off.
Here are 8 tips that will help you follow through with your fitness resolutions.
1. Start with Smaller Goals - There's nothing wrong with lofty resolutions. Losing 100 pounds, making a million dollars, traveling the world ... all are fantastic things to set out to do. The only issue is they are too broad. Research shows that these big goals aren't specific enough. There's no true plan of action behind them. They can start to seem overwhelming to you ... leading to giving up all together. Those who do succeed set smaller, more specific goals. Such as eating more protein and drinking more water. It's those small goals that compound overtime ... leading to you accomplishing those bigger goals.
2. Have a Strong Why - It's great to set out to lose weight, build muscle, or improve your lifestyle in general ... but you must have something deeper than the physical goals. This could be wanting to lose weight to set a better example for your spouse or children. This could be wanting to get stronger to perform better at your job or the sport that you play. It can't just be physical ... it has to run deeper than that. Those who have a strong why behind their goals have a much higher chance of following through.
3. Find a Sustainable Plan - There's so many different diets and workouts claiming they are the "best". It's important to know that what's best for you ... could be a terrible idea for someone else. You have to find a plan that you can stick with. Just because someone else saw success with a program, that doesn't mean it's right for you. Those who end up accomplishing their New Years fitness goals have found a plan that's sustainable ... a plan they can stick with long term.
4. Track your Progress - It's easy to get discouraged if you feel like you aren't making progress. In fact ... this alone often times leads to you giving up because you feel as if you aren't moving in the right direction. Making sure to consistently track your progress can change this. Taking pictures, using your at-home scale ... or tracking progress on an Inbody Scanner can show you positive changes. Seeing those positive changes can be extremely motivating ... and can be one of the reasons you keep pushing towards your New Years goals.
5. Have Patience - This is one of the toughest fitness resolution success secrets to grasp. Losing weight, building muscle, and creating a new lifestyle for yourself takes time. It doesn't happen overnight. You'll have to work at it. The sooner you accept that ... the more likely you are to succeed.
6. Have Forgiveness - You're going to mess up. You're going to have a bad meal. You're going to miss a workout. It happens ... it's part of the process. You can't beat yourself up about it. It's not about being perfect, it's about being consistent. Too many people fall completely off track because of one small mess up. As long as you get back on track and minimize the slip ups, you'll be fine.
7. Reward Yourself - Accomplishing your New Years goals doesn't have to be all business, 100% of the time. If you hit a milestone, don't be afraid to celebrate a bit. You will burn yourself out if you never allow yourself to be proud of what you've accomplished. If you have stuck to your goal of a consistent diet and workout program for a while ... it's ok to have a little cheat meal. It's ok to have a few drinks with friends to celebrate. It's these little "rewards" that can give you something to look forward too, which can help you keep moving.
8. Find People to Help Hold You Accountable - The most underrated secret to success. You have to surround yourself with like-mind people who want the best for you, who want you to accomplish your goals ... and who push you to do so. This could be the sole reason you succeed ... simply because you have right people in your corner. This journey is tough, especially if you feel alone. Having the right people by your side can make it much easier to follow though.
Now ... we know most of this is much easier said than done, but that's where we come in.
If you have set resolutions and new goals for 2022 ... we can help you with all of the above and help hold you accountable.
Stop by your local Supplement Superstores, and one of our Certified Sports Nutrition Specialist will help you customize a plan so you can crush your 2022 goals.
*This post was written by Andrew Lynn, who has a Bachelor's in Science Nutrition and Dietetics. He is also a NASM Certified Personal Trainer and NASM Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist.